Monday, April 15, 2013

Eaton Bray (SP9621ish)

Since my last update on 19th March, I've made 32 additions bringing my total to 196. Sobering to think that Mike Mullis and Seth have already recorded nearly twice as many species as me!

Five new birds: Blackcap on 7th then a flurry in the last 24 hours with flyover Golden Plover heard last night and Swallow, Willow Warbler and Chiff-chaff today.

One new mammal, and my first ever in the square: Brown Hare today.

Eight bryophytes in my garden: Fissidens taxifolius, Kindbergia praelonga, Amblystegium serpens, Brachythecium rutabulum, Grimmia pulvinata, Marchantia polymorpha, Orthotrichum anomalum (Lifer) and Lophocolea bidentata. Had to admit defeat with some of the acrocarpous mosses though. Although it is mysteriously absent from my garden, I finally found some Rhytidiadelphus squarrosus in the square, on a grass verge behind the pub.

Just one butterfly so far, a Brimstone on 14th.

Five bees, all in the garden, starting with Anthophora plumipes males around the Lungwort on 7th, along with the first Honey Bees of the year. Then Bombus terrestris, B. pratorum and B. pascuorum today. Plus the common black pavement ant Lasius niger on the move again.

Two new moths in the garden trap this morning: Clouded Drab (2) and Common Quaker (1), alongside 4 Hebrew Characters.

The pretty but tiny leafhopper Eupteryx melissae has reappeared on the Sage plants in the garden. Also added the shield-bug Podops inuncta from under a log.

A couple more molluscs: Irish Slug Limax maculatus in my compost bin, and Brown-lipped Snail Cepaea nemoralis in the garden.

And the rest is beetles: Scydmaenus rufus, Proteinus ovalis and Atheta crassicornis in my compost bin; Badister bullatus and Agriotes obscurus under stuff along the footpaths.








No comments:

Post a Comment