Friday, July 12, 2013

Slowing to a crawl

Hi

Having rushed towards the finishing line over the past month I have suddenly slowed to a crawl over the past few days, and I'm ashamed to say that's partly because on the very hot days I've been too lazy to make the effort.

I have enjoyed seeing from other posts how others have made up their total species: some are strong on birds and others on plants.  I suppose you could say that one of my stronger areas has been the 'nitty gritty' sort of things - spiders and beetles - you wouldn't believe how many stones I turned over in the early part of the year.

My weakness has been birds - hardly surprising as I've never been a birder - but I am amazed that my total still doesn't include either a Chaffinch or a Greenfinch - perhaps it's because I'm always looking under stones!  I've yet to record a Toad and have only just added a Frog - strange.

Anyway for what it's worth my list for SP4993 (Leicestershire) is made up as follows:


Amphibians and Reptiles
1
Barklice & Booklice
2
Bees, Wasps, Ants
26
Beetles
135
Birds
28
Bugs
42
Butterflies
14
Caddisflies
20
Centipedes & Millipedes
12
Dragonflies and Damselflies
8
Earwigs
1
Ferns & Horse-tails
4
Flies – (other than hoverflies)
48
Fungi
7
Grasses, Rushes & Sedges
24
Hoverflies
26
Lacewings & Scorpionflies
9
Lichens
6
Mammals
2
Mayflies
1
Mosses & Liverworts
15
Moths
244
Sawflies
15
Slugs & Snails
21
Spiders, Harvestmen & Mites
48
Springtails & Bristletails
8
Trees, Shrubs & Climbers
20
Wildflowers
163
Woodlice, Crustaceans
5
Worms
3
Total
958
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment